Friday, May 28, 2010

Don't try this at home

The thing with my family is that everyone is artsy fartsy, whether they like it or not. When we were little girls, my father would create amazing sculptures for us out of random objects from the workshop. He can make anything from statues to wind chimes to copper bowls.


My sister shocked everyone when she chopped of her stunning blonde hair to a short red cut in college. Apparently this, along with the vast array of black clothing options, was the way to express yourself when you're going to school for Fine Arts and Sculpture. Thankfully the red hair faded over time out but her passion for the arts and theatre never did. Our uncle also helped develop our appreciation for the arts because he's always involved with theatre. It was my dream to go to school for photography but my sister claimed the "starving artist" title first since she was older and got first dibs on it when she started college.

Given our family history (and the fact that both of my boys are lefty's) it's pretty safe to say that there will be some sort of Arts in their future! In an effort to expose them to as much as possible, we headed off to the "Cirque du Soleil" themed symphony last night.

We got there early and the boys kept busy working on their Chickfila coloring books. (What kind of mother/son date night would be complete without Chickfila?!)



Joshua channeling The Rock (Goose egg compliments home wrestling match. Jacob won.)


It didn't take long for Jennifer and Kimberly to arrive. As usual, Jacob quickly informed Miss Jennifer that she would be sitting next to him. (When we first got there, Jacob whacked Joshua when he sat in Miss Jennifer's seat!) Kimberly, aka Martha Stewart, came fully prepared with a wicker basket loaded with fresh cut fruit and delicious cookies. This spread put my goldfish crackers-in-a-ziploc bag to shame!






During each act, I reminded them that they are not allowed to try the stunts at home!



Bieber Fever struck the symphony!!


Why yes, that is two practically naked men painted bronze standing on each others heads.


Jacob, the budding photog, took his first picture with my new camera. He listed this as one of his favorite activities of the night!


All in all, it was a great night and the boys did amazing. I sincerely hope that the boys continue to love the arts as much as I do. I now understand my mothers reasoning for only one Starving Artist allowed at a time considering my sister went to a private Catholic university. The equation for Starving artist follows. 1 Starving Artist at a private university or 2 Starving Artists at a public university!

Regardless of what college Joshua attends, he'll have to take a drama class because this when he woke up and realized that he had a stuffy nose. Pathetic, I know.

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, Aim. I actually started a similar one a couple of months ago but never finished it.Just for the record, the red hair was actually a result of multiple dying/bleaching processes from my hair modeling days. Keep up the nice blogging!

    ReplyDelete