Friday, February 26, 2010

2/26/06

I'm sitting here amazed at the fact that Joshua turned 4 today. It's weird to think that he isn't a baby or toddler but a little boy. (If you ask him, he's a HUGE boy.)

I keep going down memory lane and think how different things were back in 2006 and am so proud of where we are now. In 2006, Jacob was 2 1/2, not talking and the word "autistic" was being whispered to explain his quirks. Matt was home recovering from his back surgery which included several rods, screws, laminectomies, bone fusions and bone graphs. I was working at the Marriott and just trying to do it all.


I went to get my hair done because there's now way I was going to have a bad hair day in the delivery room. It was February 25, 2006 and my first time at a new hair stylist. (For those of you who personally know me, you would be surprised to know that my hair was looong!) I joked that I would try not to go into labor in the chair. Joshua was strangely calm and not moving much so at the urging of my mother-in-law, we went to the hospital to get checked out. The doctor looked at me like I was crazy and asked how much pain I was in. When I answered none, he looked incredibly confused and told me that I was in full blown labor. We're talking regular contractions, dilated and effaced. After a quick epidural, Joshua was born healthy and not-so-happy at 3:05am on 2/26/06.


Jacob didn't initially share our excitement about Joshua and was more concerned about going down to his Grandma and Grandpas. Thankfully by the time he came home, Jacob had warmed up to the idea of a little brother but decided that he should stop napping that day. Oh, what a cruel twist of mommy-fate!


So here we are in 2010. Jacob is still a little smarty-pants and amazes me how well he does in Kindergarten. He is such a witty kid and cracks me up when it's least expected. Thank the Lord, Matt fully recovered from back surgery and enjoying being back at work. I left my position to stay at home and finish my degree. Oh, and my hair is still short!


Joshua, oh Joshua, where to start?! In the past four years, Joshua has taught me so much about looking at the glass half full and how to go with the flow. He capable to have fun in any situation, including time outs! I love that Joshua truly believes that life is all about play and that everything is a game. At times his free spirited personality can be challenging to parent, but I truly hope he doesn't lose that trait when he's a grown up. Joshua is Jacob's favorite sidekick and so incredibly thankful and blessed to have them both in my life.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, this is beautiful. What a precious memories! Thank you for sharing. We are all so lucky to have Joshua in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is truly awesome the way you feel about your family. You really do have such a strong beautiful family. And, your sons couldn't be more handsome you did a wonderful job and you and your husband are truly blessed. By the way if I didn't tell you before you look awesome you might need to give me some advice.

    ReplyDelete